Forbidden Rice Salad
Recipe Courtesy of Donna
- 1 c. Thai black rice (forbidden rice)*
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 T. tamari (soy sauce brewed purely from soybeans)
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tsp. hot chili paste
- 1 c. roasted unsalted cashews
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- Put the rice, 2 c. water, and a pinch of salt in a pan. Bring to a boil then cover, reduce heat, and simmer gently until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender; about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the tamari, sesame oil, lime juice, and chili paste together in a salad bowl.
- Add the cashews, bell peppers, and green onions.
- When rice is ready, add it to the mixture and toss to coat everything well.
- Add salt, pepper, and additional chili paste or lime juice to taste.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
*wild rice or a mixture of wild and long grain rice may be substituted for the forbidden rice.